Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Book Meme

Mardel from sewdistracted tagged me with the book meme:
  1. Pick up the nearest book.
  2. Turn to page 123
  3. Find the fifth sentence
  4. Post the next three sentences.
  5. Tag five people and acknowledge who tagged you.
Unfortunately, there are only 4 sentences on page 123 of Alain de Botton's The Art of Travel.
Towards the end of his life, his South American adventures long behind him, Humboldt complained, with a mixture of self-pity and pride, 'People often say that I'm curious about too many things at once: botany, astronomy, comparative anatomy. But can you really forbid a man from harbouring a desire to know and embrace everything that surrounds him?'

We cannot, of course, forbid such a thing; a pat on the back feels more appropriate. But our admiration for Humboldt's journey may not preclude our feeling a degree of sympathy for those who, even in the most fascinating cities, have occasionally been visited by a strong wish to remain in bed and take the next flight home.
If I were to tag someone, I would select the Smart Bohemian because she lent me the book in the first place.

Did I mention traveling with children is both delightful and aggravating? More on that later; my power cord died unexpectedly and I doubt I will be able to find a circa 2004 iBook power cable on this island. It will have to wait until I get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.