Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Technology Tuesday

I'm older than my boss. and I think I gave away my age.  While he was teaching me, he would say bsub and my fingers would automatically type qsub.

qsub is the command to submit a batch job to Cray supercomputers.  bsub is the command for IBM and Linux supercomputers.    If you look carefully at Wandering Scientists photograph above, you can read that these Cray-1As were decommissioned in 1989.  I moved to Boulder for the first time (for a PhD program) in 1988.

Hmm, I think I also used later generations of Crays.  Yeah, I could be younger...  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  ;-)

Whether its source is a thunderstorm, an alpine waterfall or the water-cooled chillers in the Cray-1A,  the sound of Colorado is the roar of falling water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.