Sunday, October 14, 2007

Aspen Leaf Scarf Free Pattern

Walking my watershed, I saw plenty of signs of autumn. That means it is time to bring out the Aspen Leaf Scarf.

Originally, I posted the free pattern. But, my LYS, the Slipt Stitch, asked if they could sell the pattern. They can't sell what I am already giving away for free, so I took the pattern off my blog. However, I made a whopping $9 off that pattern; I better keep my day job.

I would rather repost the pattern here and see many people enjoy their own Aspen Leaf Scarf. If you make the scarf, please leave a comment with a link to a picture of your scarf. And the usual stuff applies. You can use the pattern for personal use only; do not sell the scarf; do give credit to badmomgoodmom for the pattern-I am sensitive about my intellectual property.

As my other patterns sell out at the Slipt Stitch, I will repost them here rather than restock the store. Check back periodically.

Aspen Leaf Laurel Scarf

Gauge: not essential, but super-bulky or 2 strands of worsted yarn held together and knit on size 15 needles make a ~ 4 ¼ inch wide leaf.

  1. CO 3 stitches
  2. P3
  3. K1,YO,K1,YO,K1
  4. P5
  5. K2,YO,K1,YO,K2
  6. P7
  7. K3,YO,K1,YO,K3
  8. P9
  9. K4,YO,K1,YO,K4
  10. P11
  11. K5,YO,K1,YO,K5
  12. P13
  13. K13
  14. P13
  15. K5, S2,K1,P2SSO,K5
  16. P11
  17. K4, S2,K1,P2SSO,K4
  18. P9
  19. K3, S2,K1,P2SSO,K3
  20. P7
  21. K2, S2,K1,P2SSO,K2
  22. P5
  23. K1, S2,K1,P2SSO,K1
  24. P3

Repeat rows 3-24 until you are happy with the length of the laurel scarf. (I used ¾ of a skein of Wool-ease Thick & Quick.)

To end, S2,K1,P2SSO and pull yarn through last stitch.

Darn in ends.

Block.

The leaves will curl, just like real leaves do.

Glossary of terms:
CO long tail cast on
K knit
P purl
S slip
S2,K1,P2SSO slip 2 stitches knitwise together (like you are starting a K2tog), knit 1 stitch, pass 2 slipped stitches over the knit stitch. This forms a centered double decrease.

© 2006 badmomgoodmom, all rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. I have an afghan I knitted using a similar leaf pattern. I hadn't thought to try to make it into a single leaf.

    Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for the pattern! I've seen a pair of earrings made of a single leaf motif knit with fine wire, which I wanted to try but haven't had time to work out a pattern. This one will be a great place to start.

    BTW, your scarf model is irresistibly cute.

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://www.xanga.com/weavingtheweb/632985544/aspen-leaf-scarf.html

    I made your scarf pattern for a friend's birthday. I had fun making it, and she likes it. A win-win!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am going to start this scarf tonight. Thank you for posting this great pattern!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.