Friday, September 16, 2011

Mommy and me AI

I am not sure if this is a violation of the rules. But Iris and I signed up to take an online AI (Artificial Intelligence) class together, but using my email account only.

We are going to listen to the lectures and discuss the problem sets together. I will be responsible for writing up and emailing our homework sets. I don't know in advance whether she has a long enough attention span for this. Or whether either of us really have the time to do this in between her school and my work commitments.

We signed up for the advanced class, which requires us to do all the homework and take all the exams. If we fall behind in our homework, we can always change to the basic (audit) version of the class.

We are really excited about this. I have had a long-time interest in Markov models. Are there any other people doing this with their kids? Is this considered cheating or collaborative learning? After all, she's 10 years old--too young to sign up on her own.

4 comments:

  1. I mentioned your post to R and he had already signed up. P declined to participate, since her preschool is not offering credit.

    She is playing Angry Birds right now, which simultaneously delights and frightens me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie-Christine02:42

    If people are stupid enough to block 10 year olds from registering for classes on the basis of age alone, I think a cooperative parent is a fine substitute. It's not cheating, it's creatively bucking the system. On the Internet, nobody knows you're a dog :-).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it is awesome. Who cares if it is "cheating"? Is she getting credit for it? If you're just doing it to learn, I don't think it should matter.

    Markov models get fairly heavy use in my field. I've always wanted to learn more about them, too... but I definitely can't do a class right now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. @M-C, they do allow parental discretion for ages 13-18.

    Neither of us are getting credit for it so I am not concerned whether this is cheating. I view it as a bonding activity where we will (hopefully) both learn something.

    What does concern me is that R has signed up for it and he will be graded on the curve with us. After all, a finalist in the DARPA grand challenge with a PhD in robotics should not be taking throwing the curve for the rest of us.

    "Registration and participation in the Initial Course Offering and Online Course is restricted to those individuals over 18 years of age, emancipated minors, or those who possess legal parental or guardian consent, and are fully able and competent to enter into these terms, conditions, obligations, affirmations, representations and warranties herein. In any case, you affirm that you are over the age of 13 as the Online Course is not intended for children under 13. If you are under 13 years of age, do not use the Class Site or Online Course. In addition, those who wish to register and participate must meet the minimum requirements laid out in the Terms and Conditions of Use and agree to abide by the Student Conduct Policy therein. Please review the Terms and Conditions of Use before registering. If you do not qualify, you may not use the Initial Course Offering or the Online Course."

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.