Sunday, March 19, 2006

Which Graduate Text in Mathematics are you?

If I were a Springer-Verlag Graduate Text in Mathematics, I would be W.B.R. Lickorish's An Introduction to Knot Theory.

I am an introduction to mathematical Knot Theory; the theory of knots and links of simple closed curves in three-dimensional space. I consist of a selection of topics which graduate students have found to be a successful introduction to the field. Three distinct techniques are employed; Geometric Topology Manoeuvres, Combinatorics, and Algebraic Topology.

Which Springer GTM would you be?

Take The Springer GTM Test

The quiz has me correctly pegged as a knitter!

Normally, I do not take quizzes on the web lest they be just marketing phishing sites. But this quiz was hosted by the McGill University's Math department website so I took it. Funny thing though--I own (and read!) several GTMs but have never even seen this one. I did have a great fondness for abstract algebra and topology in college, though.

I still do not know why Maribeth holds such a grudge against group theory.

Update
The McGill link is broken. Try the Springer GTM quiz at U of Arizona. The link above has also been updated. Thanks to Kathleen who pointed out the new link.