Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Read me a quilt

I mentioned this quilt in the seven minute quilt top post. Our quilt guild also makes quilts for children in the LA county foster care system. Many of these kids were removed from neglectful or dangerous homes. They don't have many things that are theirs alone. We endeavor to give the kids a book and a quilt that matches the theme of the book.

Can you guess which book I bought to go with this quilt?

I received a bundle (one of about 10 given to our guild) of Dr Suess-themed fabric from the line put out by Robert Kaufman. They were scraps from their cutting room. Once I started assembling the strips, I realized that there was nearly enough to make a twin-sized quilt. I went through my quilting cotton collection and pulled some candidates.
I added borders around each edge. until it was large enough.
Then I ran out of time and passed the quilt top and some backing material from my fabric collection to our guild's "Read me a quilt" coordinator. She will finish it and present it to a child at this weekend's party for LA county foster children. Many quilt guilds throughout the region work on this project, so each child gets something special made just for them.

If you would like to help give time or materials for our community services quilts, contact me.

Aside:
This year, I kept track of fabric in and out of my collection. I thought I was showing restraint and selectivity. I used 80, gave away 25, but my collection still grew by 20 yards. How is that possible?

1 comment:

  1. The laws of Mathematics don't apply when it comes to fabric. I have not bought any fabric in three years, yet I have more than I started with. Like you, I wonder - how can this happen?
    I love Dr Seuss. I wouldn't mind having a Dr Seuss quilt for myself!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.