Saturday, June 08, 2013

Kwik Sew 2874 Gallery

I made another Kwik Sew 2874 raglan top this year using pieces I found at SAS Fabrics.  I really wanted to make a lace overlay shirt, but this was the only piece of soft lace I found after searching.  When I got it home, it languished because it resembles a tablecloth.

I tried it with a dark underlay and it looked too harsh.  I tried it with a light underlay and the pattern was too subtle.  Then I saw this Anthropologie top and realized that a stripe underlay would create an interesting moire effect.

I hadn't figured out how to hem the lace or how to handle the weight difference between the double-layered front and the single-layer back.  However, the RTW top used a lighter knit for the underlay to balance the weight.  A banded bottom also solves the hem problem.  I didn't have enough of the gray knit so I used some lavender.    Those pieces are leftover from sewing Iris' baby clothes!  I need to be better about getting rid of scraps or else we will drown in them.
Does the underlay stripe look familiar?

It should, because I used it to make another lace-effect dress last year.

To round out the gallery, I'll show again the blue top from the recent set.

I used this pattern so frequently, I created a Flickr Kwik Sew 2874 set.  In fact, I just discovered that I erroneously referred to this as OOP in 2011.  This pattern works for stretch wovens as long as you make a dart in each sleeve piece at the shoulder line and add extra width at the sleeves.

5 comments:

  1. I'm really enjoying this series of posts, even though I haven't sewn in years. I find myself considering taking it up again, because I have some souvenir t-shirts that I would like to repurpose- they are too tight to wear as is, but it makes me sad to give them away. I can either wait until they fit one of my kids or figure out how to rework them. Not sure which I'll do. It probably depends on what I do with my current work-related decisions, because that will determine whether I have time for another hobby.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tops. You are very clever with your use of underlay fabrics too- most inspiring!
    -Sewingelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am loving all of these tops! I need to develop a raglan sleeve tee. I actually drafted a raglan variation for my woven pullover top, but haven't gotten around to it with the tee.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love all of these tops,

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great tops. Really like the last one. Thanks for the heads up on this pattern.

    ReplyDelete