Friday, July 15, 2016

Nightgown-a-Palooza

Over the years, I've made at least six nightgown renditions of Simplicity 4767.  DD was so fond of this pattern, I graded it up from size 8 to 14.
After her recent growth spurt, I decided to find an adult-sized pattern.  You'd think it would be easy to find a peasant top or night gown pattern but I didn't find any in the pattern books.

I probably could have traced one from a BWOF magazine in my collection, but then I spied newly-issued Simplicity 8124, a Cynthia Rowley pattern.

The dress looks scandalously short and full. One breeze or sneeze and...

The pattern envelope says that the bust on the XS is 57.5"!  Fortunately, the romper had a more moderate 42" circumference.
I adjusted the sleeves to full length for the winter-weight flannel gown shown above and below.  I also lengthened the body to 48", flaring it out at the bottom to the full width of the fabric (about 40" wide after shrinkage.)

That was actually the third nightgown I made last week.  Imagine #2 in this fox fabric.

I forgot to take a picture of the completed first gown.  But, I have two progress shots, which I previously posted on IG.

I used French seams on the cotton shirting one and used my serger to finish the seams on the two flannel versions.
I thought I had 2 yards of 60" wide shirting.  I had 1.5 yards of 44" shirting.  Although the gown wasn't as short as the pattern envelope, DD and I were not comfortable with the length.  I added a bottom band in blue and white sprigged calico.  I might get a picture of that later.

Notes to self:
  • All: raise neck edge 1" on body and sleeves, 25" neck elastic, fold and press 1.25" to inside, sew 15/16" from folded edge (leaving 2" opening), insert 3/4" elastic.
  • Summer: lawn or shirting, 40" long, 6" sleeves (before hemming), 2.5 yds, hemmed sleeves (no elastic)
  • Winter: flannel, 48" long, 20" sleeves (before hemming), 3.5 yds, 9" sleeve elastic

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous16:40

    Nice gowns! I covet the gray flannel.

    From McCall's, 1976: http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NzY4WDEwMjQ=/z/UU0AAOSwKtlWkWee/$_35.JPG
    I made the long dress and the jump suit. My sister-in-law loved the long dress as a nursing gown.

    Then there's this from Simplicity, 1989, bought while I was pregnant. one:https://www.pinterest.com/pin/85427724157661757/
    I never made it, but there's enough fabric to swallow a person up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is very simple (even for me) and adaptable, and similar to what you're making.
    http://thingsofcloth.blogspot.com/2008/07/adult-size-peasant-blouse-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.