Friday, December 16, 2005

Mommy don't go

The morning after her birthday party, we drove to the airport. She knows the drill by now. We pull up in the minivan at the departure deck, the remaining parent goes to the back to get the luggage. The departing parent gives her a hug and a kiss in the middle row where she is buckled into her seat. Then the remaining parent takes her out to a movie or disneyland to distract from the sorrow. She is as much a pro at this as her parents.

This time, she put her arms around my neck and clung to me. She whispered in my ear, "Mommy don't go. Stay here with me."

And then I kissed and left her.

2 comments:

  1. Anonymous20:11

    I can totally understand the situation. My husband and i travel for work and this is a usual scene for us with our 4 year old son.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It didn't scar me, if that makes you feel better. I barely remember that. Did you really travel that much when I was little? Gosh.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.