Saturday, June 03, 2006

The Completed Yoke


I joined the Knitting Nature Knit-Along. I enjoy watching others' progress. But I noticed that everyone is struggling with typos in the patterns. It does not appear that there are any entirely correct patterns in the entire book.

I found another typo in the instructions for the final half pentagon. It said to continue in 2x2 rib when it should have said 1x1 rib.

Here is the back of the yoke, with the half pentagon filling the center back gap.


The instructions said to fasten off when there were 6 or 7 stitches on each DP needle. I waited until there were 2 or 3 stitches on each needle (and I used a single circular needle with markers instead). I plan to leave the yoke as is, without adding the 2x2 rib portion. I live in LA after all and we don't have turtleneck weather very often.

A gratuitous shot of the front of the yoke.


The yoke came together fairly well. There are very slight volcanos at the centers of the pentagons. (Volcano is a technical term in quilting when your lone star doesn't come out quite flat.) Hopefully, they will disappear when the rest of the sweater is attached.

If I had it to do over again, I would have started the ribbing k1,p1,k1...p1. Then, I would have decreased at the beginning of each section with a ssk instead of decreasing at the end of the sections with k2tog. I am working with 100% cotton yarn and I find that ssk stretches the yarn out less than k2tog. Hopefully, this will be less noticeable after the first time I wash the sweater. The pentagons would swirl in the opposite direction but the overall effect should be the same as long as they all swirled in the same direction.

keywords: Knitting Nature, Norah Gaughan, Swirled Pentagon Pullover, pattern errors.

links: see the completed sweater at Home From Camp II

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.