Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Time Travel

I read with sadness about the passing of Carlos Fuentes.  When I was in grad school, he gave a talk on campus in which he said something along the lines of, "When scientists invent a machine for time travel, they will have caught up with writers."  He further elaborated that literature need not follow a linear time line.  A story can sometimes be more effectively told with time looping back upon itself.  Even though I .still. haven't read any of his novels yet, his observation about time stuck with me through the years.

This week, I read Graham Swift's fantastic new novel, Wish You Were Here.  Nonlinear time is a hallmark of Swift's work.  Time runs every which way, much like water in the (below sea level) Fenland setting of his tour de force, Waterland.

I found the crazy turn of events at the end of Wish You Were Here confounding, until I realized that Swift had telegraphed it right there on page 57.

I major part of my enjoyment of unemployment stems from the fact that I now have time to read.  There have been a string of winners, too.  Wish You Were Here.  The Sense of an Ending.  The Hunger Games trilogy. 

What are you reading?  Leave a comment.  If you are also on Goodreads, friend me and share your recommendations.

4 comments:

  1. I'm rereading the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Just finished The Fellowship of the Ring.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous08:31

    My favorite books of the year are The Tiger's Wife, and Rules of Civility.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My book club just chose The Sense of An Ending. I hope I enjoy it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added you as a friend in GoodReads, which is a social network I should pay more attention to. I will show up as Anita when you get the friend request.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.