Tuesday, May 20, 2014

No pictures

because I was driving solo.  You can follow my route.  Click to embiggen and see how many national parks I skirted while driving Interstate freeways 405 to 105 to 605 to 210 to 15 to 70.
There are people going around waving yellow "Don't tread on me flags" badmouthing the federal government.  They don't want to pay federal taxes or obey federal laws because they don't recognize the federal government or they dismiss it as not doing anything worthwhile.

I left Los Angeles at 12:00 PDT yesterday and arrived in Denver at 19:00 MDT today.  My 1000 mile route crossed sections of California, Nevada, Utah and Colorado.  Try doing that with only state and local roads.  The federal interstate highway system is an engineering marvel and an economic boon.

I found a YouTube video of just one of the stunning sections I travelled these past two days.


Although the desert southwest and the rocky mountain range are both stunningly beautiful, they pose uniquely different--but extreme--climatic and geologic challenges for road builders.  I am just in awe of the natural scenery, and the human imagination, skill and willpower that it took to raise the money and build these highways.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you were able to get from point to point safely.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.