Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Shibori Knitting

I wanted to make the Angel Puff Scarf from Nicky Epstein's Knitting Never Felt Better. The miles of stockinette didn't appeal so I bought a Bond knitting machine. The tip in the book about how this was a good project for a knitting machine also sent me shopping.

I am not a good machine knitter. This thing was so frustrating--not Zen or relaxing at all. I thought this would make a good learning project for the Bond knitting machine. The unevenness, the dropped edge stitches, the skipped stitches... I figured, it won't show once I felt it. Wrong.

I could not get the machine to work once the scarf got long enough to touch the ground. In frustration, I turned it around and put the starting end on the hooks and knit from there. As you can see, I flipped the orientation by accident.

I used small marbles and ran it through the hot wash cycle twice (in a mesh bag). Iris helped with the Bond machine and tied a few marbles before getting bored and going back to her book. (She reread Harry Potter 7 last weekend.)

The way it looks in the book, made with Kidsilk Haze.

I used Sensations Kashmira, a feltable sportweight wool on sale at Joann's. It is a nice springy plied yarn, but has many flaws. I have sensitive skin, but did not find it is not too scratchy.

I will likely try again in pink for Iris. This time, I plan to taper it in the middle at the back of the neck and point the ends.

I love the pin I bought from Merry Wennerberg. She sells antique and reproduction buttons and jewelry made from buttons. The top one is Victorian, the middle button and the bottom belt buckle are from the 1930s. The Button Box, Mission Viejo, CA (949)581-9663

1 comment:

  1. wow!!! your scarf it's fantastic and you looks really cute!! kisses from Mexico City

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.