Thursday, October 22, 2009

Diversity 10

Unless a parent gives permission, I crop out other kids when I post photos of Iris.   Remember Iris doing yoga moves in Pink Camouflage?  When I looked at the pictures I took that morning, the diversity of her school really popped out at me.  Unfortunately, I had to crop out the other kids.

But the Daily Breeze posted a slide show of her entire school doing morning exercises in the playground.  This is what a diversity rank* of 10/10 school in California looks like.  IMHO, it is pretty darn cute.

The kids appear to be doing fine.  If Pat Buchanan doesn't like it, he doesn't have to come visit.

*What is the probability that any two students chosen at random would be of different ethnicities? If all students are of the same ethnic group it's zero. If half are from one group and half from another it's 50%. If several groups are divided evenly, it would be higher. We use this figure to rank schools into 10 groups of even size.

Schools with a diversity rank of 1 are the least ethnically diverse. Those with a diversity rank of 10 are the most ethnically diverse.
Caveat:
When I compare the reported statistics with the families I see, I suspect that they count mixed-race families as the non-white component of the families (the one drop rule). We checked off both white and Asian. But, it looks like Iris was categorized as Asian.

The school district to the west of us classifies mixed-race families as "decline to state" or "other". That district is more diverse than they get credit for. Statistics can be skewed by reporting inconsistencies like this.  In my highly unscientific sampling of other families, I learned that the mixed-race families mostly met in grad school.  That would explain why "minority" kids score higher on the API than the rest.   See school correlations.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.