Sunday, March 02, 2014

Sweatshirt Sweatshop

I'm on a roll with sweatshirts.

Well, I had a mogo blockage when I opened up my TNT sweatshirt pattern (remember the Camp Beverly Hills line by McCalls in the 1980s?) and discovered the pattern pieces were missing. Remember when patterns came single-sized?  I also have the same pattern in Bad Dad's size, but the missing pieces for my size weren't in there.  I lost my sweatshirt mojo for a while.

But, I found a similarly oversized (circa 1980s) Kwik Sew sweatshirt pattern on the free table at a recent quilt guild meeting. I was so excited, I didn't notice it was a maternity pattern until I used it for this project.

I de-maternitized it by checking the sleeve. It was symmetrical, so I copied the armscythe from the back to the front and then pulled the front side seam in to match the back. There was plenty of room up front for all but the uber-busty so no further alterations were necessary.

I couldn't resist adding a front handwarmer pocket.  I copied the proportions and technique from the Kwik Sew 2893 hoodies pictured here and here.

I used two short pieces of printed cotton/lycra twill that I found at Trash for Teaching. (You will see more of this lovely stuff later.)  The gray sweatshirting for the sleeves magically materialized (pun-intended) on the free table at quilt guild, too.  White ponte knit from deep stash substituted for ribbing at the neck, cuffs and bottom.  Another project from "found" items!

Iris gave the sweatshirt to a friend and AcaDec teammate for her birthday.  I couldn't measure the recipient without giving away the surprise.  Thankfully, it fits.

Actually, it fits me rather well, too.  Now I have a new retro-80s over-sized sweatshirt pattern in my size.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.