Sunday, January 26, 2014

And the moonbeams kiss the sea

I'm slowly recovering from the bug that swept through our family.  Meanwhile, I've been streaming a lot of old TV shows such as And the Moonbeams Kiss the Sea, an Inspector Lewis episode where Shelley's Love's Philosophy plays a central role.  I love the two lines:
And the sunlight clasps the earth
   And the moonbeams kiss the sea:
That reminds me of earth imagery in reflected moonlight.  Imagine that those photons travelled from the sun, bounced off the moon, and then bounced off the earth and back out to space and finally landed in a detector out in space.  Whew!  What a wild and improbable ride.  Through the magic of satellite remote sensing, we can ride along vicariously.

Read Night Vision for Weather Forecasters to learn more. You can download the full-resolution images here. And read the entire poem at the Poetry Foundation website.

1 comment:

  1. I can see from your posts that you're feeling better. I'm certainly learning a lot from you too. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.