Friday, April 24, 2015

Fashion Revolution?

Today is the 2-year anniversary of the collapse of Rana Plaza, a building in Bangladesh where thousands of garment makers worked and died. Has anything really changed in two years?

Will wearing our clothes inside out, as Fashion Revolution urges, make any difference?

I really don't know.

I know that my shopping habits have not changed in the last two years--but mainly because I had already changed it about 10 years ago.  Read my stuff diet and wardrobe refashion threads to review the evolution of my habits and thinking.

I'm going to spend a quiet evening at home, making myself a new shirt from a thrifted t-shirt and some scraps I purchased from an LA odd-jobber (waste from a garment factory).  I liked Iris' shirt so much, I decided to make one for myself.
I already cut it out. The pieces on the left will be used in the shirt.  The small scraps at the top will be used to test stitch tension and then tossed in the trash afterwards.

Shams posted a photo of how she uses those small scraps and a light bulb went off in my head.  The medium-small scraps to the right were cut into pieces about 2/3 the size of paper towels.  I keep a basket of them under both the kitchen and bathroom sinks and use them instead of paper towels for messy cleanups.  (I use reusable rags for most of my cleaning jobs.)

As you can see, I do not run a zero-waste home.  But things get used and reused and then tossed.


1 comment:

  1. Your t shirt refashioning inspired me to buy some xl tees from the Cal shop on sale for $6 to turn into more flattering shirts for me. I also use bigger knit scraps for dusting and window cleaning. Keep a couple in the car to wipe stuff.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.