Tuesday, August 22, 2006

UFO Angst and the new Fall Vogue Knitting

The Basalt Tank is still a work in progress. I took it in to show Patricia, the owner of my LYS (the Slipt Stitch in El Segundo). She suggested that I buy another skein of the purple cotton fleece and switch to the new dye lot right when I changed from stockinette to garter stitch. Sure enough, the slight difference in dye lots was not noticeable at all.

I was knitting merrily along on the Basalt Tank while watching a movie. Then I realized that I had knit 2 more rows than I intended. So I undid two rows and bound off all but the last 4 stitches before realizing that I had undone only 1 row there AND there was a gigantic loop of yarn unaccounted for. I have to undo the entire neck and bind it off again. It did look awfully nice when I tried it on--as long as you don't look at the big excess loop of yarn. ;-)

I am really getting sick of this tank. I am itching to start something new and fresh that I won't have to fight with. Like Mardel, I am really taken with nearly all the sweaters in the Gray's Anatomy feature in the Fall 2006 Vogue Knitting Magazine. The only one that I don't want to make is the vest/wrap thingy.

I love the cabled texture of this one. I would omit the big collar and foldback cuffs.


I already bought yarn in two different shades of grey merino for the cardigan by Norah Gaughan. I intend to use the lighter grey for the scarf collar and the darker grey for the body.


I also like the unique topology of this one. I worry that the front will make the sweater too warm for LA climate. I have a nice grey flowered chiffon that I could use instead of the cabled section.

OTOH, maybe I can use the two tones of grey to do something interesting with the front of this sweater. Use one color for the LF and one of the cable sections and the other color for the RF and second cable section. The plaited cable would really pop.

In high school, I made a sweater out of 4 different colors of Bernat Berella 4 with interlocking cables in contrasting colors. I loved the way it looked, but the turtleneck was way too warm for Berkeley weather. I lost the pattern but would like to make the sweater again. If anyone has it out in internet-land, could you email me?

And now for the UFO Angst
I started out the year with 4 UFOs and finished three of them. Adding the Basalt Tank, I have 2 UFOs. One of them doesn't even qualify as a WIP because I haven't knit one stitch on it since setting foot in Italy, much less the USA. If I painted the yarn for a project, but haven't cast on yet, does that count as another UFO?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.