Friday, July 31, 2009


Iris is attending Performing Arts Workshops Summer Camp again. Previously, she had attended 3-week sessions. This is the first time she attended a 2-week session. She says that the shorter format feels a bit rushed. Everything is focused upon the show on the last day of camp, leaving little time for anything else but rehearsals. She missed the (voice/dance/acting) skills lessons that weren't directly related to the production.

I miss the time to prepare. She got 1/3 less time per production. But they receive their parts in the middle of the first week. I had one weekend, instead of two, to get her costume ready. That's half the preparation time for the costumer.

Behold, the police uniform! Well, the top half at any rate. Imagine black pants on the bottom instead of the skirt. ;-)
I made the jacket with Kwik Sew's Sewing for Children by Kerstin Martensson. It went together very easily and I highly recommend the pattern book. (I drafted a different self-fabric collar than the one given in the pattern.)
Iris was clothed out of the whole series, starting with Sewing for Babies, then Sewing for Toddlers. The book comes with master patterns for all of the garments shown on the back cover. The garments have 1/4 inch seam allowances; hem allowances vary and are marked on the pattern sheet. Just trace the size you need and sew!
The KS patterns are so well drafted. The instructions are very clear. I have no idea why they are 120,000 on the Amazon popularity list while some poorly drafted patterns with confusing instructions are 12,000 on the popularity list. Look beyond the styling.

I had a remnant of lightweight denim that begged to become a tiered skirt. Unfortunately, I needed more than the 7/8 yard available. I had just retired four frayed shirts from Bad Dad's wardrobe. I would have selected the plaid, but Iris wanted the blue with green stripes.

I got to play with my Bernina ruffler foot.
The final product.
Look at the little pocket at the hem.
When I switched the serger thread from gray to blue, I took the opportunity to unthread it completely and vacuum it. I also flossed the tension disks with waxed floss, oiled it and changed out the needles. After I put away the vacuum cleaner and started to sew, the sewing machine's maintenance light went on. Huzzah! The paperweight had sewed its first 180,000 stitches! Nevertheless, I used a little brush instead of hauling out the vacuum cleaner again.

While the serger was threaded in blue, I altered a clearance rack blue sweater for myself from a size L to a M. See Sweet Sassafras' tutorial, How to alter a wool sweater.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.