Friday, November 09, 2012

Quantum Mechanics and the Electoral College

Eric, Bad Dad and I have been discussing election statistics off-line.  Eric sends this:

"I can rant all I want about the misinterpretation of p-values and how it leads scientists who are (perhaps) otherwise competent to say stupid things.  But, as always, Randall Munroe at XKCD cuts through the fog and says it so much better (and more hilariously)."


Please click through and hover your mouse over the cartoon to read the joke he embeds in the image metadata!  It will show up in a popup box.

Bad Dad also pointed out the relationship between the electoral college and quantum mechanical expectation values.  And thanks to Eric, I understand how Nate Silver apportions out the votes.  Both explanations sounded like Bayesian statistics.   Randall Munroe explains it all.

@ LHC, I'll remember that when my daughter starts her own band.  I did a really tiger mom thing and got her vocal coaching because her drama teacher confided that the only thing that held her back from a larger role last year was her singing.  She got a big part this year.  ;-)

1 comment:

  1. Quantum mechanical expectation values would be an excellent name for a rock band. The experimental hipster kind

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.