Friday, February 23, 2007

Profiling the Stay at Home Mom

I am rarely home at 9:30 in the morning. However, I was home one morning last week when I received a curious call. The woman on the other end asked to speak to Mr Mark Y. (We are listed under Mark's last name.)

I replied that he was not at home; could I take a message?

She asked if I was the lady of the house.

I replied in the affirmative.

Then she started reading a spiel very quickly. She spoke so rapidly, I can't quote her exact words. It sounded like a "push poll"; she asked whether I agreed or disagreed with statements. But the statements were worded to try to plant a point of view.

She babbled about how Hollywood made movies to make money and had no morals. I can agree with that statement. But she went on and on about how they had to be controlled with laws.

I told her not to take her family to the movies.

She changed tacks to discuss the state of television. Again, she read a rapidfire script about how television was amoral.

I told her to turn off her television.

She said that you can't always control what your children watch.

I told her that, if it bothered her so much, get rid of her television.

She hung up on me.

Addendum
Mark says that every TV set sold in the last few years contains a V-chip. Program it and your problem is solved.

I would do that, if I weren't so sick of technology by the time I got home from work. Sigh. I will just continue to be a bad mom and let Iris watch whatever crap programming she finds on the 100 channels of not much that passes for our cable package.

5 comments:

  1. You used logic? That's heretical coming from a woman.

    Yeah, it sounds like a push poll and you did a great job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous16:43

    I think you did a great job. And I didn't think of the V-chip when they called me either. But they did hang up on me after I told them to throw away the TV and let the kids read books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous07:02

    Great answers! I would have said the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! No doubt, one of those right-wingers who deserved the answers you gave her.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous11:31

    You raise some good points in your post. Here are some facts that you might find interesting. An overwhelming majority of Americans (91%) object to government deciding what they are able to watch on television. When activists talk about protecting children instead of parents—here’s what they’re talking about: sixty-eight percent of the country’s 110 million television-viewing households do not include children under age 18 and households with children have different challenges to face due to the varying ages of kids within each family. Currently, there are 11 million households with children age 6-11, 15 million households with children age 0-5 and 9 million households with children 12-17.

    TV has come a long way from the days of three channels and rabbit ears antennas. Today’s TV audiences are putting to use broadband, DVRs, TV video on demand, iPods and cell phones to greatly expand their choices about what, when, where and how to watch TV. New technology means consumers have more selection than ever and more control than ever over what they see on TV. We all have more choices and parents have more tools to ensure their kids only see what’s right for them. Let’s let parents decide—not government, for all of us.

    There is more information to be found at www.televisionwatch.org

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.