Saturday, November 03, 2007

Seiri and Seiton applied to books

Inspired by Kathleen's How to organize books, I signed up for LibaryThing. I started with the books in the sewing and craft room. I also cataloged just one bookshelf in the family room/library/upstairs hallway. Amazingly, that's already 274 books. See my current catalog. There is also a fun thing in the right sidebar that shows a random selection of covers from my library.

Now, on with the books in the home office and the cookbooks in the dining room before I tackle the main household library. There are 3 full height IKEA Billy bookshelves in the library, one more in Iris' room, and 2 full-height bookshelves in my office.

We really have to be more selective about the stuff we keep. I have no interest in the books about window treatments; Iris and I are allergic to dust. Iris also said she is bored with most of her books; they are for babies. Maybe we can purge books together as a mommy and me activity.

Today, she is a 7 year old. She acts like she is 14. I can't wait for adolescence. ;-P

Tomorrow, Iris and Mark (and 3 of her friends and her Aunt and cousin) are going to Disneyland. I developed a secondary infection following a cold. I will be staying home with hot fluids, antibiotics and rest tomorrow. Maybe I will post about some of the books I have read while on home confinement.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. I purged all of my unwanted books a few months ago by donating them to the library. It was nice to clear bookshelf space for books I really wanted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous09:46

    Manhattan Village is holding the Camel Book Mobile Book Drive. The books are going to Africa so they do request books that are as cross-cultural as possible. You should check it out on their website. www.shopmanhattanvillage.com.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We are in the process of getting rid of all our books. Yes, it seems horrifying, but I am finding it liberating. My daughter's roommate is the offspring of 2 librarians. She's the one who turned me on to this idea. She simply said, "I don't own any books. I visit the library." The more I thought about it, the more I liked the idea.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.