Friday, September 05, 2008

Vintage Knitwear

The Daily Telegraph wrote about Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters today, complete with 5 of the 21 patterns in the book as a free pdf download. I agree with them about the unfortunate period with bulky yarns and knitting needles the size of saplings. But, knitting these vintage sweaters from the 1920s through the 1950s on tiny (as small as size 2) needles requires a good deal of patience.

Ooh, but I do love the Jacket with Frog Fasteners, Cardigan with First-Class Tailoring and Angora Bolero (30 stitches x 40 rows per 10cm/4" square!). Go read the article, download the patterns and perhaps buy the book. I don't think the book is available in the US yet, but Lise-Lotte Lystrup's Vintage Knitwear for Modern Knitters looks like it would be a good read for the history and inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Generally I agree about bulky knitting although I seem to be on a big needle (relatively) jag of late.

    That jacket with the frog fasteners is adorable though. And I have knitted sweaters on size 2 needles before.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.