Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Enough

Did anyone else catch John Bogle's interview on NPR last weekend? He was promoting his new book, Enough: True Measures of Money, Business, and Life. He has been preaching the same thing for 50 years, but his thoughts are especially timely today.

John Bogle, founder of Vanguard, has long sounded the alarm that Wall Street's interests run counter to those of the people whose money they manage. His book, Common Sense on Mutual Funds was one of the two investing books I have ever read. I highly recommend it.

I am going to put his new book on my Goodreads "to-read shelf". I had been using my Amazon wishlist as a to-read list, but that became confusing to Mark around my birthday. He had no way of knowing which books I really wanted for my collection. We have been using the library so much more since I went on the stuff diet.

I noticed that our city's library website now has a feature that allows us to keep a list of books we want to read, but not necessarily request right away. Mark showed me a web portal called FirstSearchCA that lets us search the catalogs of all California public libraries for books. We can then click on the link to the library nearest us to request books.

2 comments:

  1. Amazon allows you to create multiple wish lists. You can keep a wish list for the to-read list, and another as a "I really, really want this" list. I keep a list for future book club candidates just for that purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been using my Amazon list as a to read list as well and I might eventually transfer it over to good reads. I have a private list, which is my general to read but not necessarily buy list, and a public one. The problem with two lists though, is that one tends to get neglected. That is why I think it is better to have the to read list over at goodreads, but I am still working on that.

    I've read "Common Sense on Mutual Funds" years Sense on Investing" and think pretty much everyone who is saving anything should read it. I also read "John Bogle on Investing" about the same time, but haven't read his newer books. Perhaps I will add this one to my list as well.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.