Saturday, June 28, 2008

It's a small world

I downloaded this image from the Travels with Samantha travelogue (an early version of a travel blog) in 1993. I used this very calming image for my screen background in the high-stress period while performing my PhD research and writing it up. Back then, I had no clue who this Philip Greenspun character was, except that he if very open about his attraction to pretty women and takes great photos. See the bears fishing at Katmai series if you need more proof.

I am not sure what prompted me to look at the photos again last week, but I did. I couldn't believe it! Could there be two Mike O'Briens from Venice Beach absolutely gonzo about geysers? I think not. That's "big Mike" from my current research group.

I showed the comment to my office-mate this summer (same MIT student intern as last year), and he said, "Philip Greenspun is a real character."

"You know him?"

"Yes, he teaches occasionally at MIT and I took a couple of classes with him."

Asides:
I blew another week of my life that I will never get back trying to move data (unsuccessfully) between two "hardened sites". I am beside myself with fury. Think about the overhead in our lives from deterring theft and hackers, not to mention airport security. Is it really worth it?

Serenity now. I finished blocking and ironing (yes!) the ribbon lace scarf. I will try to post a picture of the scarf on Iris tomorrow in natural light.

She is spending the first 6 weeks of the summer at Performing Arts Workshop. I need to make her a long dark dress with two aprons (one frilly white, one bright and simple) by July 11. That gives me two weekends. But Mark wants to go to San Diego during the holiday weekend. Make that one weekend. But Iris neglected to tell me until I asked her at dinner tonight. Make that one day to make the costumes. Serenity now. Recall that I am the mother that made 22 costumes for her kindergarten class concert in one weekend. I can handle this.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.