Monday, December 16, 2013

Planet Money Math Followup

The Planet Money published data is definitely incomplete.  They did report that the Bangladesh factory did a few more steps, but did not elaborate.  I'll just assume that Jockey did their math correctly with their proprietary $ numbers.  This story did illustrate for me how much this global supply chain depends on cheap and reliable shipping.  Add time and cost to shipping, and savings evaporate.

It truly is an industry on roller skates seeking an instantaneous local minimum in cost.   People are treated like the commodities they make.   Why does it have to be so?   Is there anything we can do to change this system?

I'm off to make some holiday presents, follow up on a job interview and do some edX homework.  If I'm productive, I'll post some pictures of the presents before I mail them out.

1 comment:

  1. All the best with your present making and interview!!!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.