Thursday, August 20, 2015

Kwik Sew 3262

Iris' friend is learning to sew. I pulled the remainder of the black/ecru ponte I used for my Burda 7184 waterfall cardigan.
She selected Kwik Sew 3262.  OOP, but you can still buy it here.
We used a nylon/lycra for the neckband.

It's interesting to sew and fit with someone with a different build.  I am a slight pear and she is an inverted triangle.   Her chest puts her in a L but her hips put her in a M.  The pattern is sized for thick fleeces and we used a ponte.  We took some pattern measurements and decided to go down a M and she is very happy with the fit.

Her friend learned how to cut single layer, match stripes, use a serger and hem with a twin needle.  My child is still not interested in learning to sew.  She likes giving orders though.

This is an old Kwik Sew pattern, printed on heavy paper with 1/4" seam allowances.  I much prefer these to the new ones with tissue paper and 5/8" seam allowances.

It's a Kwik Sew.  The drafting is great.  It goes together easily.  The directions tell you to fuse interfacing to the shoulder seams to reinforce them before sewing.  That's the technique I would use even if the instructions didn't say so.

I only wish that, in addition to giving you pattern pieces for the rectangular pieces, they also gave you the measurements.  I cut rectangles with a rotary cutter and ruler, not with tiny paper pattern pieces.  What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. Same here: I measure the rectangles, write the measurements on the pattern piece and maybe on the pattern envelope, then cut the rectangles with a rotary cutter & ruler. Much more accurate and less fussy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut rectangles with a ruler and rotary cutter, and I too wish they'd just print the dimensions on the pieces

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.