Thursday, September 13, 2007

The Big Picture

I had a health setback this week. Instead of feeling sorry for myself, I decided to reflect on people with real problems. Imagine living in this region.

What are we doing about it here? Will we be ready if something similar happens in California? Will we even hold a statewide drill?

The LA Times ran a story about a town vulnerable to wildfire that held a fire drill. About two dozen people participated in the evacuation drill.

One of these days, I have to blog about an evacuation model that a UCSB geography professor showed at a seminar series at work. (Hey, they put me in charge of the seminar series one year so I invited people who I wanted to hear.) Rural settings and killer views come at a price.

Link
You can generate the latest map of this region at the USGS Latest Earthquakes in the World - Past 7 days site. Click for the Australia region (or whichever you want to see). Then click to zoom in for the 10x10 degree lat/lon map.

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the setback. I hope you are starting to feel better. It is very hard to realize that there is someone out there who is suffering more, so I applaud your ability to do that. Feel better!

    ReplyDelete

Comments are open for recent posts, but require moderation for posts older than 14 days.